When it comes to creating a video for your nonprofit—it’s not always about the look and feel—or even storytelling. It’s about driving results. Every choice you make surrounding your video comes down to this: “Does this increase the chance our target audience will take the action we want them to take?”
That’s why when we partner with our clients to produce videos, we focus on the outcome. For some nonprofits—that might mean the number of social shares or views. Others might set their sights on a donation amount or even the number of volunteers they can recruit. Regardless—there’s a few easy steps your nonprofit can follow to ensure that the video you produce impacts your audience while checking off every desirable outcome.
6 Steps to a Results Driven Video
1. Define your goals and your audience. What outcome to you want to achieve with your video? Knowing this along with your target audience will help you unlock more potential.
2. Determine what motivates your audience, then craft a video that shows them how your goals align with their motivations.
3. Develop a “what next” and add it into your video. Video is just one step along the customer journey—not the final stop. When they click—will it go to a landing page? If so make sure it’s consistent in theme, message and quality or your hard work to get them there won’t matter. Check out our checklist for more tips on this.
4. Work all of these tasks into your pre-production as poor pre-production planning will definitely hurt your outcome—and your budget.
5. Test and test again. Testing across your target audience will help you identify top ways to achieve the results you’re after.
6. Lastly, remember this: when it comes to measuring a video ad’s success, views aren’t everything. Using the right key performance indicators (KPIs) will help you determine if your nonprofit video is a hit.
When it comes to delivering results, the crew at 5:00 Films and Media has been helping nonprofit clients achieve successful outcomes for more than two decades. Just take a look at the video we created for Thurgood Marshall Academy. Working with them we discussed their goals as well as how they’d be using the video. Next, we created a plan that enabled them to use the video as part of their overall strategy to instill pride and hope in their alumni and ask them to donate. While the video didn’t make the ask— it set it up for one—focusing on results and outcome first.
If your nonprofit is searching for ways to drive results, contact us today.